Charlotte Seed Library
What’s a Seed Library?
“The Seed Library’s mission is to help nurture a thriving community of gardeners and seed savers. In addition to providing access to free seeds, we hope to help support gardeners and seed savers, from beginner to expert, through the process of growing, harvesting, and seed saving.”
Why Save Seeds?
Humans have been saving seeds for over 12,000 years. However, in our culture much of that knowledge has been lost over the last hundred years, along with significant biodiversity. When you grow and save your own seeds, you
• Develop seed stock that is well suited to our climate
• Save money
• When you participate in the seed library, you help create a culture of sharing and abundance. (From Pima County Seed Library)
How It Works:
• Stop by the library & look over the seed selections
• Pick out which seeds you’d like to “check out”
• Receive a packet with 10 seeds of your selection
• Take home and plant according to directions for seed saving (see attached)
• Join us at library for our seed saving workshop to learn when and how to harvest seeds
• Return 10 seeds to the library at the end of the season
• Come back next spring and do it again!